Friday, March 11, 2011

I Suppose I'm Supposed to Give You Fools Another Grammar Lesson

Suppose vs. supposed. This is a grammatical disaster perhaps even worse THAN (I'm making a contrast here, remember?) then and than. I've seen this one pop up a lot on facebook and twitter in recent days, months, etc. (By parents, educators & celebs no less. Maybe the celebrities are a little more excusable, but I digress.). This cannot go ignored.

"The snow is suppose to start here at midnight tonight."

No, the snow is NOT SUPPOSE to start there at 12:00 A.M. It is SUPPOSED to.

Similarly: "Where is the manual that says a 2nd wedding is SUPPOSE (she even capitalized it for me) to have a Bachelorette Party & a Bridal Shower. How much lingerie can a girl get?"

I love ya Sherri Shepherd, but girl, a second wedding is not SUPPOSE to have anything. Sorry.  Good luck with that lingerie though, you could always sell it on e-bay or something.

SUPPOSE is a verb, people. Can we all reach back into our first grade thinking caps and remember what a verb is? Reach for it, reach for it....aha! A verb tells us what the subject is doing.

First sentence subject: snow. Snow what? Starts. (Verb.) Second sentence subject: Second wedding. Second wedding what? Have (form of has.). Verb. Verbs. Get it? Snow or weddings can't suppose. In fact, I believe it is even physically impossible. Oooh. And they really can't suppose if the sentence already contains a meant verb.

Suppose should be used as follows: "It's already 3:00, I suppose I should get going." 

Supposed on the other hand is an adjective, and is what all of you mean to say/type. I'm too annoyed to give a lesson on adjectives right now as I just had to give one on verbs. (For free no less, sorry, I'm sick of unpaid internships.)  I'll give you this and if you still don't understand, you're a disgrace to humanity:  I/you/he/she/it is supposed or not supposed to do something (something being the......verb!). If you guessed that on your own, good job. You can now return to first grade....in your own classroom. Oy.

All that being said, I know what your argument is. You are all just SO confused because when people speak, most of them pronounce the "d" in supposed more silently than not. Therefore, to your ear it sounds like suppose instead of supposed. (Especially those of us from Jersey, you know how we do not pronouncing a "d" or a "t" every now and then. Example: Trenton = Trenin.) And before you go knocking my Jerseyness (Fuck you), let me just remind you that although I may make not pronounce some letters to their fullest extent, I still know how to use and spell these words correctly. Many of YOU, do not.

Didn't your mama tell you not to always believe everything you hear (especially when taught otherwise)? Tsk tsk.

No comments:

Post a Comment